Вернуться   IWTB RU forum > The X-Files Universe > Джиллиан Андерсон

Ответ

Опции темы
Старый 14.12.2015, 20:11   #81
Milagros
посвященный

окончание
[Scully has seen the blonde nurse again, and runs after her into a Buddhist temple.]

Now when she opens the door, obviously outside she was in China Town and inside we're on one of the stages at FOX and I remember, you know, describing, I think over the phone, to Corey [Kaplan] in the art department what it is that I wanted this temple to look like with the courtyard on the outside and the running water and the big doors and the cushions on the side and this huge Buddha in the centre with some kind of shafts of light coming in front of it, and she drew me a picture and the first picture was exactly what it is that I had envisioned for this space and then, you know, within a few days it was built and in front of me. It was the most miraculous thing (laughs). I was like, "well, hang on a second" (laughs). Things happen so fast in the shooting and, you know, once the decision is made... I remember when we first found Colleen's house and driving home from
the site where the house was, and we had decided on the site, and somebody in the transportation department in the back of the van saying, "ok, we bought the house", and that's their term for, you know, renting a house or a location that we're shooting in and it sounded so huge and final and such a momentous thing. I was like, "waaait, wait, wait, I didn't, you know...
can I still think about it, can I..." (laughs). But things had to happen quickly in order for them to move and design it in the way it needed to be and set-dressed and...

[Scully has visions, the last being of Waterston, semi-transparent, his heart and blood system visible.]

Oh, the whole special effects thing... and I remember being on the phone once again with John Wash, I think, in the special effects department and trying to describe to him over the phone what I wanted those pictures to look like as they flash by and just trying to put words to what I had in my head was such a challenge. Because they would give... you know, in the terms of
the edges being... it was just... it was, it's... um... a lot of patience is involved (laughs) for me. I just wanna go, "Don't you see what I see?? Don't you get what I have in my head and why doesn't this look anything like what I am describing to you?" But it's all, you know, complicated (sighs).

[Scully has gone back to the hospital and has taken Colleen with her and a healer who stands by Waterston's bed, hands outstretched over Waterson. The doctor comes in, unhappy with what's going on.]

Casting-wise, this is Steve Hornyak who is Colleen Flynn's, the actress who plays Colleen Azar, that's her husband and they're both actors. And Azar was actually taken from Edie Azar, a woman who I became friends with... (laughs). I love having the control of being able to choose people's names. And this woman who plays Maggie, actually during the shooting of this scene
she had just had a baby and she had a newborn on set with her and during a good portion of the coverage it was time for the baby to eat and so she was actually, in some of it, breastfeeding while the scene was being shot and, you know, before some voice-over you could actually hear the baby suckling in the background (laughs).

[Scully is at home. The Moby song is playing. She's wearing a bathrobe. As she walks through her apartment, the scene changes
and she's wearing a dark suit and walking into a hospital room. In the bed is a very sick-looking Scully who mouths the words of the song: "Speak to me". The phone rings and Scully awakens from her dream.]

There were more of those cuts... I think originally of... from one scene into the next. I don't know how many times Scully has been in bed with pajamas and answering the phone. I don't think she has ever worn the same pajamas twice.

[The phone call is from Maggie who needs Scully to go to the hospital right away. Scully does so and finds Waterston sitting up in bed.]

And this scene... I guess a defining moment for Scully, where she, through the course of what she's learned on this journey and
where she's been led and the realization that she's come to as a result of paying attention and listening to her own heart and
her own needs in her life, is able for the very first time to stand up to Waterston.

[Waterston scoffs at the healing ritual. When Scully points out that it may have saved his life, he doesn't want to talk about it, he wants to talk about what happens next for them. Scully tells him that it's time he took responsibility for the hurt he caused his family, and that it's no accident he got sick as he's been running from the truth for ten years.]

I mean, this episode was really the beginning of Scully on a more spiritual than religious path... and that's a lot of... well, (laughs) as in the fact that I am not a religious person, but I try to be a spiritual person. And her standing up against someone that she cares for very much but who believes in none of it and that Scully on one level feels like she has opened up to a whole
other world finally, even in Mulder's absence, that she's opened up to this other world, where she sees the order of things and she sees how one event in life leads to another and the cause and effect and the cyclical aspect of human life, of spiritual life and Maggie in her own way has come to the same sense of peace, you know, not only in understanding that it's not Scully's
fault but also her need to confront issues with her father and be in a place of forgiveness and love and wanting to move forward and make things work out.

[Scully is outside the hospital, watching people go by. Again she sees the blonde woman with the baseball cap. She runs after her and catches up with her, touching her arm. As that person turns around, it's actually Mulder wearing a baseball cap with "Stonehenge Rocks" on it.]

This was actually... originally, we shot 3 of these sequences, this being the last, the first being outside of the hospital room, Scully was actually going to leave and stand outside the hospital room and we shot it where the camera encircles her and then dissolves into a shot of her sitting on a pew in church but instead of... she's actually... her hands are placed in more of a meditative way, so she's actually sitting in the church but meditating and... just that leap for her character, I like the juxtaposition of that and what that represented. And then this one, which was time-wise the only one that we could end up keeping and how it, you know, there were certain aspects that we ended up having to keep in order to move the story forward
in an unexplainable way that, you know, unfortunately, I wished didn't have to be there because of the nature of... there's a certain cheesiness to it, you know, a certain cheesiness to always be seeing the same woman and where does she go and who is she, and that she ends up being Mulder at the end, but it is a necessity in the doing of certain things that, you know, when you've got 42 minutes you just have to settle with.

[Mulder and Scully in Mulder's apartment. Scully talks about how she considered spending her whole life with Waterston and what she would have missed. She is very tired.]

This scene – I love this scene. But Scully had to be tired enough and slurry enough that it would make sense that she would actually fall asleep by the end of the scene (laughs), which is a pretty tall order, but, uhm, so she mumbles a bit, and, and, uhm, but I love how the music ties into this... I love the fish tank in the background... I love that she falls asleep with her head on his shoulder and he keeps rambling, and... there's just so much care in a way that Mulder looks at Scully and moves her hair to the side and that he covers her with the blanket... [Moby song starts playing] and here we have the through-line of the slow motion and these moments that are so important in our lives, whether we are asleep (giggles), or awake for them, that they are still there. And I wanted this two-shot of them and then the camera to leave them and you're not quite sure if he's leaving or moving her to the bed or what the situation is, but moving over... and Lisa in the set dec. department put the UFO in there, which was such a fantastic touch. and then going down to what it's all really about... [a statue of Buddha on the shelf under the fish tank] and Moby (giggles). And just the editing process, too, of finding that last moment... you know, which moment is it that it goes out... does the music stop before... or does... you know...

[X-Files theme starts playing]

I'd asked Kim Manners to be my right-hand person and was so grateful that he was there. He was from the beginning to the end, he was just an amazing person to bounce ideas off. And he said, "You've got to go home and you've got do your homework and show up knowing exactly where the camera's gonna to go," and I would do these diagrams over the weekend and at home
at the end of the night and just set up these huge graphs of where the camera was gonna be and it was because of Kim. Yeah (sighs). That's all I have to say. Thank you for listening.
Milagros вне форума   Ответить с цитированием
Старый 29.12.2015, 08:28   #82
Milagros
посвященный

Gillian Anderson Chases Her Shadow

статья здесь: http://www.vulture.com/2015/12/gilli...=twitter_nymag

Последний раз редактировалось Milagros; 29.12.2015 в 08:32. Причина: фото
Milagros вне форума   Ответить с цитированием
Старый 08.01.2016, 01:04   #83
Yulya
Absorbed in Magician...

Jillian Edelstein {New York Magazine} -- декабрь 2015